Full Specifications & Features
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- Approx. 55.7mm x 97.3mm x 10.8mm 2.20 inches x 3.84 inches x 0.43 inches
- Approx. 99 g 3.50 Oz
- Battery Life - Continuous Playback Music
- AAC (256kbps) / Ambient Sound Mode OFF: Approx. 39 hrs, AAC (256kbps) / Ambient Sound Mode ON: Approx. 27 hrs, AAC (256kbps) / Noise Cancel OFF: Approx. 39 hrs, AAC (256kbps) / Noise Cancel ON: Approx. 33 hrs, DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Ambient Sound Mode OFF: Approx. 25 hrs, DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Ambient Sound Mode ON: Approx. 20 hrs, DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Noise Cancel OFF: Approx. 25 hrs, DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Noise Cancel ON: Approx. 22 hrs, FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Ambient Sound Mode OFF: Approx. 30 hrs, FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Ambient Sound Mode ON: Approx. 23 hrs, FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Noise Cancel OFF: Approx. 30 hrs, FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Noise Cancel ON: Approx. 27 hrs, FLAC (96kHz / 24bit) / Ambient Sound Mode OFF: Approx. 39 hrs, FLAC (96kHz / 24bit) / Ambient Sound Mode ON: Approx. 27 hrs, FLAC (96kHz / 24bit) / Noise Cancel OFF: Approx. 39 hrs, FLAC (96kHz / 24bit) / Noise Cancel ON: Approx. 32 hrs, MP3 (128kbps) / Ambient Sound Mode OFF: Approx. 45 hrs, MP3 (128kbps) / Ambient Sound Mode ON: Approx. 30 hrs, MP3 (128kbps) / Noise Cancel OFF: Approx. 45 hrs, MP3 (128kbps) / Noise Cancel ON: Approx. 37 hrs
- Battery Life - Continuous Playback Music Notes
- The values shown in this topic are the approximate battery life when content is played continuously at the default settings. ,Even if the player is turned off for an extended period, a small amount of battery power is still consumed.,Battery life may vary depending on volume setting, conditions of use and ambient temperature. ,The battery is consumed considerably when the screen is on.,The battery life may become about 70% shorter when some of the sound quality settings are active.
- Charging Time (full charge)
- Approx. 4 hrs
- Charging Time (Quick Charge)
- Built-in battery
- Built-in Rechargeable lithium-ion Battery
- Charging and Power supply
- USB power (from a computer via a USB)
- Memory Size
- 16GB,Micro SD Micro SDHC Micro SDXC
Playback & display
- Music Searching Methods
- All Songs Artist Release Year Playlists Album Genre Composer Hi-Res Recent Transfers SensMe Channels Folder
- Music Play Mode
- Shuffle Playback,Repeat Off,Repeat 1 Song,Repart All,All Range,Selected Range
- Drag and Drop
- Display Resolution
- 3.1-inch (7.8 cm),WVGA(800 x 480 Pixels)
- Display Type
- TFT colour display with white LED-backlight
- Photo Playback Notes
- FM Tuner
- Sound Effects
- 6 Band equalizer,DSEE HX,DC Phase Linearizer,Dynamic Normalizer,VPT,ClearAudio+,Clear Phase,Vinyl Processor
- Audio Playback
- AAC ( .mp4, .m4a, .3gp): 16-320kbps / 8-48kHz, AIFF ( .aif, .aiff, .afc, .aifc): 16, 24, 32bit / 8-384kHz, APE ( .ape): 8, 16, 24bit / 8-192kHz (Fast, Normal, High), Apple Lossless ( .mp4, .m4a): 16, 24bit / 8-384kHz, DSD ( .dsf, .dff): 1bit / 2.8224, 5.6448, 11.2896 MHz *Audio that is converted to Linear PCM is output., FLAC ( .flac): 16, 24bit / 8-384kHz, HE-AAC ( .mp4, .m4a, .3gp): 32-144kbps / 8-48kHz, MP3 ( .MP3): 32 - 320kbps (Supports variable bitrate (VBR) ) / 32, 44.1, 48kHz, MQA ( .mqa.flac): Supported, WAV ( .WAV): 16, 24, 32bit (Float / Integer) / 8-384kHz, WMA ( .WMA): 32 - 192kbps (Supports variable bitrate (VBR) ) / 44.1kHz
- Audio Playback Notes
- Sampling frequency may not correspond to all encoders.,Copyright protected files cannot be played back. ,Non-standard bit rates or non-guaranteed bit rates are included depending on the Sampling frequency. ,Files that are 4 GB (APE is 2GB) or larger cannot be played back.,This product recognizes audio sources exceeding CD quality (44.1 kHz / 16 bit quantization) and DAT quality (48 kHz / 16 bit quantization) as High-resolution Audio.The "HR" symbol is displayed for high-resolution audio sources. ,For sampling frequency over 352.8 kHz, it will be down convert playback.
Headphone Out (Stereo mini-jack)
- 20-40,000 Hz
- Maximum Power Output (JEITA 16Ω/mW)
Headphone Out (Balanced standard-jack)
- Maximum Power Output (JEITA 16Ω/mW)
- Operating System
- Sony original OS
- Digital Noise Cancelling
- Digital Noise Canceling Select NC Environment: Full-auto AINC, Bus / Train, Airplane, Office
- USB DAC Mode
- Headphone: Stereo mini-jack, WM-PORT (multiple connecting terminal): 22 pins,Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0 compliant)
- Wireless Capabilities
- Communication system: Bluetooth Specification Version 4.2, NFC: Yes, Supported Bluetooth profiles:A2DP, AVRCP, Supported Codecs (Reception): SBC, LDAC, AAC, Supported Codecs (Transmission): SBC, LDAC, aptX, aptX HD
What's In The Box
- Walkman (1)
- USB cable (1)
- Startup Guide
- Instruction Manual
Colours in harmony
The new h.ear range comes in colours to suit your lifestyle perfectly.The tones work with a spectrum of hues and different colours. Try them with your favourite outfit and it all just works – effortless harmony.
Stylish curved design
With a premium, curved aluminium body, the NW-A50 is ergonomic to hold and fits in the palm of your hand.
High-Resolution Audio compatible
Enjoy the subtlest nuances of studio-quality sound in higher-than-CD quality with High-Resolution Audio. Passion for music unites every component from signal to speaker, so it feels like the artist is performing right in front of you.
S-Master HX™ delivers High-Resolution audio in maximum quality
Optimised for High-Resolution Audio, S-Master HX™ amplifier reduces distortion and noise, allowing you to enjoy all the subtleties in your music.
New DSEE HX AI analyses song type
Audio upscaling is improved even further by our new DSEE HX processor which intelligently recognises instrumentation and musical genres. Realism and liveliness of different instruments, including the human voice, are inherently characterised by high frequency harmonics. By identifying instruments, and the relative energy of the audio, our enhanced DSEE HX can accurately rebuild audio lost during digital compression, for a full fidelity experience even with heavily-compressed audio formats.
Rigid aluminium milled frame
A rigid premium aluminium milled frame provides superior rigidity for low impedance and clear, stable sound and solid bass.
Premium, audio-grade lead-free solder containing gold
For clearer sound and vocals, new high-quality lead-free solder with a small amount of gold is used to connect the circuit of the NW-A50 to the battery. The exceptional conductivity of gold ensures absolute minimum signal loss.
Circuit board with gold plate for powerful bass
The NW-A50 has onboard plate and contact springs which directly connect the circuit board and aluminium milled frame, and they’re both plated with gold. The results are powerful bass and a clear mid-range.
Control your music with ease, through the intuitive side key buttons of the NW-A50. The play/pause, music-selection and volume buttons on the side panel are shaped and positioned for easy operation, even by feel alone.
LDAC™: for the transmission of High-Resolution Audio content
Enjoy your music at greater than CD quality with LDAC™ wireless audio transmission. LDAC uses a conventional BLUETOOTH® connection, but transfers at a maximum data transfer rate up to 990kbps – approximately three times that of other audio profiles. The result is enhanced wireless listening that's much closer to the artist's intention.
NFC™ One-touch for instant connectivity
Near Field Communication (NFC™) and BLUETOOTH® technology make connecting to your music fast and easy. Just touch your NFC™-enabled device to your NW-A50 Series for a quick, seamless connection, then start streaming.
Digital noise cancelling for fewer distractions
When used with compatible IER-NW500N/NE headphones, the NW-A50 Series' digital noise cancelling reduces the ambient noise you would normally hear from your surroundings. Microphones built in to the headphones work with the digital noise cancelling engine to cut out unwanted sound.
USB DAC function makes music played from your computer sound even better
Use your NW-A50 Series as a USB DAC (Digital-Analogue Converter) by pairing it with a PC or Mac computer. When connected and activated using the supplied USB cable, the NW-A50 Series replaces your computer’s regular sound processing with its own, highly-tuned, hardware processing. Now, whether you’re at your home or office, in a coffee shop or commuting, you can always enjoy premium sound quality.
BLUETOOTH® Receiver mode to give your smartphone music a boost
Stream music through the NW-A50 via Bluetooth® and a smartphone connection and give all your music an NW-A50 boost. Favourite tracks will benefit from digital to audio conversion and DSEE HX upscaling, as well as Vinyl Processor and equaliser.
Listen for longer with up to 45 hours' battery life
Perfect for commuting or when you want to enjoy your music all day, when fully charged you can enjoy up to 45 hours of music playback.
Store even more music with the microSD card slot
Expand the already large memory of your NW-A50 with an microSD card – pop one in the slot to enjoy endless playlists and even the biggest music collections on the go.
Give back the warmth and character of vinyl to your digital tracks and get lost again in the richness of the melodies and dynamics of your favourite albums. Enjoy subtle reproduction of the low-frequency resonance, tone-arm resistance and surface noise deliver an authentic listening experience.
A choice of equaliser presets and custom levels
For authentic tone and sound that matches the music category you’re listening to, the NW-A50 has a choice of equaliser presets. Or use the Custom levels to create your own equaliser sound.
Playback screen and playlist naming within the UI
The intuitive UI of the NW-A50 lets you play, search, fast forward and repeat easily and seamlessly. Listen to your favourite tracks in the way you want to by using the options on the playback screen to easily create and name playlists.